Position Title: Executive Director, Construction Services
Reports To: Deputy Chief
Direct Reports: Pre-Construction and Construction Managers
Department/School: Construction Service Department
Date Written: January 24, 2021
Oversee and provide leadership in the construction of the bond program to ensure compliance with district goals, contracts, codes, and permit requirements as it pertains to construction. Oversee the construction activities of the program manager. Provide guidance in the resolution of construction issues when the project is in construction and during the latest stages of design regarding constructability and other construction issues. Recommend action regarding changes during construction.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Serve as the Deputy Chief of Construction Services, in the absence of the Deputy Chief.
2. Oversee the department’s construction functions and collaborate with the Bond office team and staff.
3. Work closely with construction industry representatives, design professionals and program manager to assist in their understanding of the bond program.
4. Provide oversight over the construction services of the program manager(s).
5. Assist in the development or revision of department construction procedures. Participate in the updating of the Contract for construction(s).
6. Participate in the evaluation and selection of contractors. Chair the negotiation sessions.
7. Assist in the administration of construction contracts and in the preparation of such documents as required by contract.
8. Ensure potential construction problems are quickly identified, brought to the attention of the Deputy Chief, and promptly addressed.
9. Ensure progress on all construction sites is monitored and appropriate records are kept on each project to ensure compliance with contract documents.
10. Assist in ensuring coordination and consultation with school and central administrative personnel, contractors and inspectors regarding facility construction schedules, progress, and corrective actions.
11. Maintain comprehensive knowledge and record of all on-going construction projects.
12. Recommend approval/disapproval of construction project change orders.
13. Assist in interfacing with other agencies to ensure timely project completion.
14. Evaluate program manager(s), contractor(s) and design professionals’ performance.
15. Supervise the activities of the program manager(s) and other professionals in accordance with the District’s policies and applicable local, state and federal laws and regulation; responsibilities include, addressing problems and resolving complaints.
16. Review invoices, validate work, and exercise sign-off approval as appropriate.
17. Provide oversight and monitoring of all projects to ensure on-time and on-budget completion.
18. Work closely with the Program Manager and Bond office staff
19. Provide summary briefings to the Deputy Chief
20. Performs all other tasks and duties as assigned.
1. Review the project design for compliance with scope and District Standards.
2. Develop project construction budget during all design phases.
3. Monitor that projects proceed on schedule and within the allotted design and construction budget.
4. Identify and manage risk issues on projects.
5. Oversee the research and evaluate unprecedented architectural problems as they arise and recommend the appropriate resources to solve the issues.
6. Manage the project during construction, including technical issues, budget, schedule and changes/change orders.
1. Participate in the development of criteria for selection of Architects, Contractors and other parties when required by the District procedures.
2. Oversee the preparation of technical documents in coordination with other technical staff and the project teams.
3. Review the Scope to Budget and recommend approval/disapproval.
4. Review and recommend approval/disapproval of RFPs and required contracts prepared by the District/consultants.
5. Participate in the procurement process, including selection, negotiations and contracting when required by the District procedures.
6. Evaluate technical recommendations provided by the Program Manager, Architects and others involved in all aspects of the planning, design and construction process.
7. Participate in the constructability review process.
8. Review progress reports provided by the Program Manager.
9. Participate in selective project meetings and substantial completion walk. Approve/disapprove project substantial completions.
10. Performs other duties as assigned and/or required.
Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or a directly related field. Texas Professional Engineering or Architectural Registration, or Certified Construction Manager preferred.
· Experience in a supervisory or managerial position for at least 5 years is required.
· Experience of at least 15 years in engineering and construction administration is required.
· Familiarity with K-12 design and construction issues and trends is highly desirable
· Experience in a senior leadership position for a large Capitol Improvement Program and/or Bond Program.
· Demonstrated leadership and administrative abilities through the management of major segments of a school district or other mid-to large size entities with heavy emphases in facilities maintenance, development, or construction.
· Ability to provide input and work in coordination with the Program Management Firms and other parties involved in the Bond Program.
Scope of Responsibility
Decisions must be made with full understanding of District’s procedures and policies, and best professional practices to achieve general results and guidelines.
Other Skills and Abilities
1. Demonstrated ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents.
2. Demonstrated ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries and complaints.
3. Demonstrated ability to write speeches and articles and develop and deliver presentations using original or innovative techniques or style.
4. Demonstrated ability to deliver effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topic to top management, public groups, and/or Board of Trustees.
5. Strong leadership and team building skills.
6. Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
7. Strong project management skills
8. Understanding of project accounting principles
9. Understanding of basic construction and design contract law practices.
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job responsibilities.